Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Reviews - 9/22/09

The Scraps


The Scraps - Demo - I could never bring myself to fully tear into these guys as you can tell that the music means a lot to them as a vehicle for personal, and perhaps social, improvement. In fact, the first two tracks on this little 3-songer - "Shotgun" and "Even Up" - are legit good, albeit shabbilly, recorded tunes. Maybe kind of Social Distortion-ish? In any event, if shabby recording is a crime, then let every band I've ever been involved in as well as 60% of the bands I've enjoyed in the last 15 years...be guilty!

That being said, track 3 is a real fucking stinker. Like, really, really bad.

So, 2 for 3. Nothing mind-blowing, but not too shabby (outside of the recording quality).

(www.myspace.com/thebinkleys)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I found this review online. It's a pretty kind review. I am a member of the Scraps and we didn't even know we had a three song demo. We have a twelve song album of newer recordings. We were wondering what recordings were used for this "demo". Also, what was the third song on the demo, you know, the "Stinker"? If you are interested in hearing any of the songs included on our album "The Sacred Right Of Property" they can be heard here: http://www.musicalfamilytree.com/band/the_scraps
    Thanks for the review.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike,

    Yeah, it was a little mini-disc with "Shotgun", "Even Up" and one other. I think the one I didn't like all that much (and re-reading the write-up, I think I was a little harsh) was "Even Up". Seemed a little ska-ish to me.

    Anyway, I'll check out the other tunes and thanks for the heads-up.

    Take it easy,

    John

    ReplyDelete